Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Poetic Parenting: A mother's contribution...

In answer to my call, I have received this lovely poem from KJ, which I am reposting...

"My teen has recently moved in to the world, so mine is more on the journey from start to transition (quickly) and I'm more at peace than I realised so not much swearing either... But I tried..." (KJ)

In LA Rodney King had been beaten
Russia chose Yeltsin to rule
Schumacher appeared on the racetrack
And you had me covered in drool

My friends were all sneaking to pubs
Wishing 20 was their real age
I was at home with my baby
Social welfare was paying my wage

Each year I did what I thought best
Screwing up as all parents do
My reward was always amazing
When you said “Mum, I love you”

Then one day I opened your door
And fell to the floor in a fit
Your room was a tip, you looked a wreck
With a weird whiff of B.O and shit

Putin was now ruling Russia
Schumacher was world number one
The drool that I wore as a badge
Was ripe from disease of the gum

You were not there in the morning
‘Hooking up’ as you said on your ‘page’
I was at home with no baby
Fucked off with sadness and rage

Each day turned in to a struggle
With battle lines now set in stone
We both began with the countdown
When you at last would leave home

Then one day I opened your door
And fresh paint now filled the air
No more were you here, now out in the world
Just remember I love you my dear 





How fabulous to put your experience into words that capture the essence of you, your child/teen and the whole experience.   


Are there any more from other readers??

No comments:

Post a Comment