Sunday, June 26, 2011

Poetic Parenting: releasing your literary genius

A reader, Nicole, left this comment on my post, "Go the F*** to sleep", and I had to repost it to share with all of you, as it is very clever  ...  I think Nicole and I are living parallel lives, as her words reflect some of the experiences of my last 48 hours: waiting up yet again last night until 1.45am;  falling asleep on the couch;  dragging myself to bed at 3am - which is a good time to restock the fire for the morning!  No cooking muffins though.  But no sign of the Real T1 until dinner time tonight,  lured home by the smell of a yummy Sunday night dinner, hot water and a warm home.

If anyone has any other four line verses in rhyming couplets... please send them to me,  and let's grow this parenting poem !!!

Ask your friend for contributions.  A number of you follow Nigel's FB site (maybe he's a poet too??!), so get it out there....  

Write it down, say it how it is, release the frustration, let loose your humour, pain, exhaustion... as well as your literary genius.... consult your journals for insight, sing it, say it, have fun with it,  have a wine or three and let the words flow:  I know you can do it!!!

Here's Nicole's start to our 2amClub parenting poem/rap track:

"I don't know where the fuck you are
I'm worried out o' my head
It would be nice if you'd come home
So I can go to bed

You're probably drinking with your mates
Or smoking something silly
Or maybe luring some poor girl
To do things to your willy

Last week you came back poorly dressed
With vomit down your shirt
An improvement from the week before -
You'd returned with lighter burns

But come home now so I can sleep
I'm knackered for the day
Just don't bring home another dame
And keep me wide awake! "







FB, Twitter... however you get it out there, enjoy the creativity and opportunity to share your fortitude, humour, wisdom and eloquence!!!

I celebrate the writing genius within each of you...

1 comment:

  1. My teen has recently moved in to the world, so mine is more on the journey from start to transition (quickly) and I'm more at peace than I realised so not much swearing either... But I tried...

    In LA Rodney King had been beaten
    Russia chose Yeltsin to rule
    Schumacher appeared on the racetrack
    And you had me covered in drool

    My friends were all sneaking to pubs
    Wishing 20 was their real age
    I was at home with my baby
    Social welfare was paying my wage

    Each year I did what I thought best
    Screwing up as all parents do
    My reward was always amazing
    When you said “Mum, I love you”

    Then one day I opened your door
    And fell to the floor in a fit
    Your room was a tip, you looked a wreck
    With a weird whiff of B.O and shit

    Putin was now ruling Russia
    Schumacher was world number one
    The drool that I wore as a badge
    Was ripe from disease of the gum

    You were not there in the morning
    ‘Hooking up’ as you said on your ‘page’
    I was at home with no baby
    Fucked off with sadness and rage

    Each day turned in to a struggle
    With battle lines now set in stone
    We both began with the countdown
    When you at last would leave home

    Then one day I opened your door
    And fresh paint now filled the air
    No more were you here, now out in the world
    Just remember I love you my dear

    ReplyDelete