Thursday, June 23, 2011

I am multitudes....

A little bit of self-affirming support popped into my post box this week : I  received a letter from one of the social services agencies, and I quote:

"... it is fantastic to hear that (Teen1) has been attending X X High School now for four weeks.  Because of this good school attendance and as T1 was not interested in the support our service could offer, I have now closed his file.


I want to acknowledge your perseverance and commitment towards T1's education and also to acknowledge the care and love that you have for T1.  It takes a strong woman to continue as you did and I hope things continue to improve for T1.


If you feel our service could be of benefit in the future....I would like to wish you and T1 all the best..."

Thanks Louise! I appreciated your support also.



The social agencies are there to help, but it was a lonely trip for me to walk in there and ask for help.  I knew I needed help, and I wanted to keep one step ahead if I could, but I also felt so ashamed (there, I've said it) at having to ask for help.  I am now so used to talking to them, that I regularly check in and let them know what is happening.  My circle of influence includes the local police, the central police station, the Youth Liaison Officers, Family Support agencies, independent Youth Trusts, counselling services, and a number of youth training and support agencies.

I have learned from this experience not to define myself, or allow myself to be trapped or inhibited by the actions and behaviours of my teenager.  The only person whose judgement is important is my own!!  I got caught up in not wanting this one hard part of my life to inform who I am in the other parts of my life:


"... Do I contradict myself?  Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes..."  
~ Walt Whitman.


I am multitudes.  There's one part of me that will accept any positive reinforcement for the part of me that is the Parent and Mother.

The other parts of me - the friend, sister, worker, carer, professional, daughter... - must continue to grow and learn and share and not be inhibited by the choices of others.  This takes courage.

Wishing all mothers the courage to continue to celebrate their 'multitudes'...

 

5 comments:

  1. YAY! Happy to see some good news and reassurance that you are doing a FINE JOB xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've watched your struggle from afar and I'm in awe of your patience and diligent pursuit of a few simple principles. I'm sure this isn't the end, or perhaps even the beginning of the end, but you deserve every little piece of success you get. Congratulations, you are an inspiration. As someone once said "Never ever ever ever give up".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys! Yes this is my thing I'm going through, but it is not unique in any way... lots of us are dealing with challenges in parenting. I just hope that some of my mistakes and successes are warnings or inspirations for others that help them get through the night! Wishing you well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dunno how you do it! Hope someone makes you smile when you get a year older (in real, not 'parent aging' years) next week!
    Whanga

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Claire, thank you for sharing your journey. I acknowledge your strength and patience; and yes you are right "Lots of us are dealing with challenges in parenting"...and thanks Paul for the "never ever ever ever give up".

    ReplyDelete