Friday, April 15, 2011

No suicide. No prosecution.

I had a call tonight from the case worker at the social services organisation, who very carefully and professionally advised me that a person, whose name he could not reveal, had contacted the organisation and told them that they were concerned my son was possibly suicidal. Given the nature of this information, the organisation needed to let me know.

Earlier today, I approached my son to ask him to come with me to get the new school uniform (I'm still banging on at him about the need to go to school - silly really). As I opened my mouth to say, 'we need to go this morning to get ....', his response was negative, aggressive, abusive and dismissive. As I stood in front of the door way and tried to talk to him, he showed an incredibly well honed ability to belittle, mimic and abuse me all at the same time. Quite extraordinary. Anyway, it was like pushing the proverbial uphill, so I stood aside and let him leave. Then, against all my newly learned instincts, I followed him to see where he was going. Now, I haven't driven around looking for him for some time (thanks to already experiencing the futility of doing this, and my own exhaustion). To cut a long painful story short, I phoned the parent at the Focker resident where he went into, and had a conversation that had us both facing off. In my corner, while appreciating that she was offering a place for my son to hang out, I was asking her not to support his truancy and disappearing acts from home; in her corner she said she had no control over his presence in her house, she always asked him if I knew where he was, and she'd given him lectures about going to school. In her view, she was providing a safe space for my child as he obviously didn't want to be at home with me (ouch), he was a lovely quiet boy and no trouble to have in her home (ouch again). After a long conversation, the space between us was not easily navigable, so we agreed to retreat and consider options.

And then I get the phone call late this afternoon: way out here on my lonely parenting planet, I am being told that an anonymous person calls an agency concerned that my son is suicidal.

Forcing long calm deep breaths, I asked myself: is he, where is he, how serious is this, what else do I need to know, and what happens next. My first response was to request the number of the Emergency Psychiatric Services at the hospital. Then I asked for details about this anonymous tip off. It helped that I am aware that the ethical boundaries of confidentiality can be broken if a counsellor is aware that a client may be harming or intending to harm someone else, particularly a child, or if a client is intending to harm themselves. And so in this case, details were very important for me to know what I was dealing with - an attempted suicide, a threat of suicide, a plea for help, erratic and dangerous behaviour...? I really had no idea and needed to know. After checking through the appropriate channels, the case worker came back to me able to reveal some of those details.

(BTW, I am spinning out while all this is going on ....I'm not that tough).

As it turns out, the Mrs Focker who I had talked to earlier, had passed this on to her case worker.

Suicide. Scary scary stuff.

I was advised to wait for her to call me to discuss what she knew. She didn’t. I eventually got hold of her. An hour had gone by and I had no idea where my son was, what state he was in, what I was facing. (I was a bit shaky).

According to her, she had never said my son was suicidal, not at all.

I asked her again, to clarify this. No. Not at all.

So, we had a laugh and talked about the weather. Not.

I seriously think at times I really am on a different planet from anyone else. I’ve just been informed that my son may be suicidal. The case worker suggested that in his view, Mrs Focker was not being malicious by informing the authorities, but was doing so out of care and concern. And then Mrs Focker tells me she never said or implied suicide. Am I somehow living in a parallel universe? That this could be reported to me via an agency, then withdrawn???

Let’s just say the conversation I had with Mrs Focker was challenging. My note pad is covered with scribbles reminding me to keep my Heart at Peace. It helped.

Is my son suicidal? I do not know but I don’t think so. Are you? Your neighbour? Your uncle? Who knows what lies beneath. What I don’t know is whether the supposed safe house parents out there who have my son at their home during school hours, and for all nighters, would contact me if they did think my son was in danger. That scares me. Or am I just on a different planet thinking that communication between parents is the norm?

At least there was good news today: the case worker also informed me that it's unlikely the authorities will seek to prosecute me for not sending T1 to school. Not really worth it given he's almost 16. Excellent news in amongst a lot of bad bad bad conversations. How ironic: I’m not going to go to court for not sending T1 to school. Made my day.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe the woman felt like she had more of an insight into your son's emotional state, perhaps he was more free to express himself around someone possibly more laid back, someone with less emotional reactivity to the situation or just not his mother. She might have gotten the impression that you would make the situation worse, or betray the trust she had built up with him. This may or may not be accurate, but hey, not every parent in the world is going to be intuitive enough to deal with a suicidal child in the appropriate way, especially if the child has shut them out of that specific emotional reality for who knows how long. Perhaps her personality type just gels better with his. It can be a humiliating feeling admitting to something of that intimacy to a parent, someone who has preconceptions of who you are. If he is shutting you out, perhaps he feels trying to communicate what he feels will only lead to frustration, maybe he feels you won't understand. And maybe you won't, who knows. Taking a step like this and exploring directions to take is definitely positive, your only choice may be to help him indirectly. He might need subtle input from another source. Side Note: This could be something not right for the short term, but outward bound is a brilliant place to turn lives around, get a new perspective, if he's old enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God I know exactly how your feeling, my daughter met her boyfriend when she was 14 yrs old and as much as I tried to prevent this by going to the police, the college,social workers etc. The guy was talking her into wagging School and where they went was a gang members home ina nice street with nice families, anyway my daughter was raped during school time at this premesis. The Police and the College had done nothing as there was no communication from the School that she had left the grounds even though I met with her Student guidance counsellor several day earlier to let him know she was at risk with this fellar hanging around and to let me know if shes not at School, of course the School didn't and she was badly hurt. When it came to the Police I was being blamed for my daughters behaviour. My poor daughter had no support she was blamed for the terrible rape not the ricidivist pedophile gang member who induces college children to his sisters family home and plys them with junk food and alcohol looking for his next victim. Get this my daughters boyfriends family were associated with this offender and blamed her as well. My god help me!! We are still dealing with the fall out!! My daughter has been with this guy now for 11 yrs and has 3 beautiful children and is a great mother with a little help from the family, shes finally working through this terrble time and would rather forget about it but it has has long term effects! His family still are dysfunctional but shes taken back her life and has the strength to leave if she wanted to now!!
    All we can do is be there for her and the family i.e. buy them a home,car food anything to help smooth out the pain.
    Your right to hunt down your son and even get him help at a drug rehab or even outward bound to show him a better way of life and eventually they start to recover from their scary dysfunctional life, you can save his life!! Good on you keep up the noseying and following but offer your son something else, polytech a course something to busy his life up, if its something he likes then he will do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just read your blog - found through a link from Nigel Latta. It was scarily familiar. My sister went through something similar with her son. It largely tore her family apart. In the end, for the sake of her other children, and herself, and her husband they had to let him go emotionally - they sent him to a military style school in the USA that takes troubled teens. It was a long, hellish road to get to that decision and not one that was taken lightly, it was the result of him almost dying from a drug overdose. Scary I know, and not what you want to hear, but it could have been much worse. Much, mcuh worse!The school is expensive, but the cost is one they are willing to pay to be able to lead their lives without the fear of having it run completely off the rails by one person. He seems to be doing better as well, mostly because they forcibily won't let him throw his life away by doing drugs or running off from school. My sister acknowledges that by taking this step that her relationship with her son is broken and troubled, but it was broken and troubled before he was sent away. She hopes that with time they can mend it.

    There was a Mrs Focker in his life too, who enabled him and thought they her family was giving him a "safe place", but mostly it was her own ego she was boosting. he got nothing out of the relationship except contempt for his family and a drug addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire and acknowledge the incredible strength your sister's family showed in taking this action. I also take heart from your observation that the young person is doing better. Thanks for posting this. I'd be interested to know what school in the US he went to: was it Culver? But no need to reveal too much if you don't think it should be. Keep us posted on developments....

    ReplyDelete