Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Break Through: to the other side of a little faith

Be thankful for little things. In the last months I have posted about a Breakdown (September 5), a Break In (September 18) and here’s a crack at a “Break Through”.

I have been contacted by Victim Support and the Police to advise that two men appeared in court on charges relating to the burglary of my house, and of three others in the neighbourhood. The men are 19 and 26 years old, recidivist criminals apparently, and both pleaded not guilty. One has been released with electronic monitoring, the other is still in custody. No stolen goods have been found, but a third man has given evidence against the two with an account of the crime that seems to be fairly accurate. Hence this break through in the investigation answers some questions and allays some concerns I did have about the burglary: Teen1 had threatened the day before the burglary to steal all my things if I didn’t give him any money - so had he actually done this or instigated it?, I wondered.

Oh. Me of little faith.

Teen1’s immediate response was predicable and justified: ‘see, Mum, I told you none of my mates did it”. There was another point being made to him of course, about who he’s hanging out with, and their record of crime with the police, but I opted to shut up.

The converse to being stuck in a perpetual emotional pattern of Fear, is to have Faith. If one is stuck in Fear – fear from within one’s self, or fear of not being perfect – then a way to exercise control over or to relinquish the control of Fear, is to have Faith. Life isn’t always going to be perfect and neither are we all perfect. Have Faith that all will be well. Or even more realistic, have faith in someone else to find their own way.

I always had (blind, instinctive) faith that my sons would grow into good men. Somehow, somewhere along this year’s long and lonesome road, I lost it. I lost a grip on it, for example, when I wondered if T1’s friends had been involved in the burglary. But, lately, I’ve dug around in the murky depths, and find Faith still flickers within me.

Yes!, me of little Faith!

A little is a lot at times of worry, stress and fear. I’ll let that succour me for a while.

Have Faith parents, a little goes a long way!

No comments:

Post a Comment