Saturday, August 7, 2010

Friday night on the town



Then

Despite desperately practicing “Detachment”, I still resorted to texting Teen1 during the evening.  Texts like: “I can come and get you and I won’t say anything, just let me know where you are”.  By the early hours of the morning, the texts were reading: “I will have to start calling people if you don’t let me know where you are and when you will be home”.  And then: “ At least text me so I know you are ok”.  Finally a response from him:  “Can you come and get me?”.

I was in the car and out the door.  Driving through the town centre was like being in the middle of a small town bad movie.  At one end of town, there were a couple of drunk teenagers fighting each other with their mates looking on.  One was obviously bigger than the other and the weaker one looked like he was in for a beating.  Further along the street, young girls were staggering in and out of a convenience store; a large group of young men were yahoo-ing along the street swinging their bottles around; a group of six or eight boys were climbing over the scaffolding on the front of a building and running along the shop awnings.  While I would in the past have ignored all that, it seemed in much sharper focus as I wondered what it was that my son had been up to.   I tried to remember if I thought that hanging out in town was a ‘good time’ when I was that age, but then remembered that I’d have been home in bed by 9pm getting a good sleep before playing sports the next day. 

I picked up my son outside the McDonald’s store.  He slumped into the car, pale, cold, eyes dead, no colour in his face.  I was feeling depleted, empty and terribly sad for him, my heart flickering with compassion for this boy who wanted a night out and to prove that he was all independent and grown up, but who looked bloody awful. 

True to my word, I didn’t say anything to him on the way home.  At the door, I couldn’t help myself: “I think you’ve been acting as if you’ve been drinking or doing drugs.  If you have, I think it is a really dangerous thing to be doing and we need to address this….”.  He cut me off:   “I fucking haven’t so go away and leave me alone”.  Mental note to self: don't bring this subject up at 2am in the morning when he's stoned, and think it is going to achieve anything....

I snuck into his room a half hour later when he was asleep and listened to his breathing.  I don’t think I am going anywhere for a long time.

Wishing all parents a deep and peaceful sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Saw this and wanted to post something. Firstly a big internet hug. I am a mum of 3 pre-schoolers so I have these things to look forward to. I read a nice bit of advice when dealing with teens though, maybe you could try it...
    write him a note and put it under his pillow. Tell him how much you love him and that you know he's going through tough times, but that you're always there if he ever needs to talk. Then don't mention it. Not ever. A few notes like this, all positive, all saying how great you think he is and how much you love him can mean the world to a young man finding his way, even if he never tells you out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs are good! Teen1 and I shared a hug this morning - the sun broke through!! I remember those notes I used to put in their lunch boxes, or in their bags when they headed to camp or away for the night. Beautiful. And none of us are ever to old to have a wee love note tucked in under the pillow. Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete