Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sleeping holiday reaps rewards

It amazes me how much a boy can sleep. I know that teenage boys are supposed to, but twelve hours a day for days on end: it is fascinating. Like babies, you can almost watch them grow and develop in their sleep. Not that I stood and watched him sleep. Not really.

With having just one child who slept most of the first week of school holidays, I discovered a new woman had shifted in to the house. One that was calm, organized, exercising, eating small healthy meals, productive (apart from blogging), focused as well as a bit dreamy, sociable… and I liked her!

Teen1 liked her too for most of that week while he sloughed off weeks of trashy living. With no brothers in his space, and quiet in the house, his whole demeanour became calm, energized, healthy and sociable… and I liked him too!

When two conflicted parties have some stress removed from around them, and can be in each other’s space quietly without cause for conflict, it is fabulous what emerges. Like:

- Discussions about music : I learned that some of the doof doof stuff I complained about in my Ladder of Doom post, isn’t that bad. And if Elton John collaborates with Tupac, well, I can be open about listening to rap. For four minutes.

- Agreement on school camp options, which had us looking forward to something, and me looking forward to seeing how he goes walking up the side of a mountain with his newly nicotine smeared lungs.

- Discussions about NCEA subject choices, which holds some hope that he intends to stay on for Year 11.

- Collaboration with getting household chores done.

- The eating of late tv dinners together and mutual agreement on lack of programming choice on free to air tv.

- Completion of some larger jobs around the house.

- A shared laugh or two about something silly even if it is at my expense.

- A few hugs. And an “I love you too Mum”.

Discussion + Agreement + Collaboration + Togetherness + Laugh + Hug : now these are words that have not been in the Me + Teen1 equation for some time.

Teenage parenting tip: Put them to sleep. Huge benefits may flow forth!

Hoping all parents have found some time to rejuvenate these holidays – or can do so next Monday when the troops return to school.

3 comments:

  1. Nice to hear a happy post :) Long may it continue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I love reading your blog I look forward to the day where you have nothing to wriite because all is "good with the world".

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time I have been on this website, is bringing a tear as I read this as its so very real and touching. Nice to feel not so alone on this topic, except im the sister of a teenage boy and not his mum...

    ReplyDelete